CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 13 and 14 (march 24 & 25)

I know I don't update as much, but right now, there's not much to update. Things are holding steady for the most part. We still go up every day (at least I do, matt often has to be at work, or do homework) and hold Martin. We're really just waiting for him to gain more weight (he's still not up to his birth weight) and then learn to eat.

On wednesday, I just held him for about 2 hours.

I went up in the evening, since they have a parent-to-parent support group that meets every wednesday. They ended up canceling it so I got a lot of time with Martin.



On Thursday, it was about the same. We just held Martin for a while, and talked to him.

He's closely monitored; his heart-rate, respiration, oxygen, temp. Occasionally, while we're holding him he goes into decells with his oxygen. Meaning, his levels are too low, like he's holding his breath, or not taking deep enough breaths. It's not a good thing, but it's fairly normal in preemies.

Still, as a mother, you don't want to hear that alarm go off while you're holding your baby.

It also can get too high, causing the alarm to go off. I think Martin does it on purpose. he'll hit both extremes in the same minute, and then just lay there looking around. I think he likes the sound of the alarms.

1 comments:

MoDLin

Sounds like little Martin is learning how to push your buttons already! (Just kidding) But I know how unnerving it is when an alarm goes off and I hope that calms down soon.
Hang in there, hold him and love him as much as you can. He'll grow into himself in time.
If you'd like to connect with other parents of preemies and haven't been there yet, you might want to visit the March of Dimes community called Share Your Story: http://www.shareyourstory.org/ It can be very supportive.

Post a Comment