CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day101-105 (June 20-24)

DAY 101--

Happy Fathers Day! Unfortunately, Matt didn't even get to see Martin OR Katryn today. He had to work. But the Parent-to-Parent group gave all the dads a mug that says "Super Dad". Which, if you have a baby in the NICU, you really ARE a Super Dad.

Martin was moved to room 8 today. There are only 9 rooms, and Martin has hit all but room 9. Which is good, because room 9 is the isolation room. We don't want to see that room.

There is also NO sign of any of the hernias the doctors had been so worried about. That's just typical Martin for you. Something ridiculous will pop up and they'll be worried about it, just to have it disappear the next day. I'm ok with that.


It was also a busy day food-wise. His feeds were increased to 46mls, and they started a new fortifier. It's being mixed with the other fortifier 1/2 and 1/2. They decided to start this, so they can get him completely on the new fortifier, which I can by at the grocery store. AKA--a can of formula to mix in my breast milk.

he took a pretty good average today, about 1/2 of his feeds from me, which is awesome!! I'm trying to bottle tomorrow, and I think he'll do AWESOME at it.



DAY 102--

Martin had a lot of reflux during the night. The doctors think it's probably from the fortifier change, and are giving it some time to adjust. They also had to change his feeding time to the 1/2 hour, instead of the hour. I hate that! so he's at 8:30am, and then every 3 hours after that. I really prefer the hour. it's easier for me to get their at 3pm, than 2:30, while dealing with Katryn's nap schedule.

At the 2:30pm feeding, Martin took 4mls from me. I feel like he took more, but it's hard to gauge how much more. At 5:30pm, I tried a bottle. he did ok, took about 10mls, but he was dribbling a lot, and I could tell that it was coming out too fast for him, even though we were using a slow flow nipple.

His oxygen also went down to 1L!! that means a regular cannula, instead of the high flow!! woohoo!!



DAY 103--

What a crappy day. Sarah, one of the OT's, tried to give Martin a bottle in the morning. He maybe took 7mls. And when I was breastfeeding, he took hardly anything either. I just feel like he's never going to get it, he's never going to be able to eat OR breathe at the same time. His oxygen needs were a lot higher today than normal.


it was just one of those days where I cry the whole drive home, feeling so helpless.



DAY 104--
I show up today, and what do I find? That cursed high flow. I hate it. I hate it so much. yes, I know it helps him breathe, but we can't come home when he's on high flow. They won't let me breast-feed when he's on high flow. We just get to hang out in the NICU, and watch baby after baby be discharged. It was one of those days today. I think 3 babies got discharged in his room. I could hardly keep myself from crying about it.

We were able to work with the paci and a small syringe of milk, to help keep his oral skills up. And they are leaving it up to me to decide whether or not to work on breast-feeding. it's just frustrating. Everytime we start making progress we get kicked back down.

They also took an xray of his lungs, because his work of breathing has increased as well. The doctor wants to have a care conferance with us. Basically we get everyone in the room who is involved in Martin's care and work out a game-plan. at this point, it's probably a good idea.

The doctor also decided to start a medication that was dilate his lungs some, to help him breathe. One of the side effects is it makes his heart-rate skyrocket, like 200bpm.

And he's 1oz shy of 7lbs. I was totally planning on bringing home a tiny baby. He's already bigger than katryn was when we brought her home from the hospital. I'm so glad we didn't invest in any preemie clothes!



DAY 105--

3 freaking liters of O2. THREE!!! I don't understand why this poor kid just can't breathe. They are now calling in an ENT doctor to check in traycia and make sure it's formed properly. Part of me wishes that they'll check it and say "oh yup! this is why he's not breathing, and this is what we'll do to fix it" and give us the magical answer. The xray they took yesterday showed a lot of trapped air in his lungs. So air is getting in fine, but it can't get out i guess.

Because they saw all the trapped air, they drew some blood to check his CO2 level and make sure the O2 and CO2 and exchanging properly.

I stayed through shift change, and went to the parents group--Lemonade in the Lounge. It was actually quite nice. Rachel talked about how good a g-tube can be. I'm starting to realize that this is where we're headed. Martin can't eat if he can't breathe. he's not going to be one of those babies that gets to eat whenever they want, and then gets to go home. He's not going to take a bottle in the NICU, he's not going to eat by mouth.

I'm having a really hard time with it. Really hard. But rachel mentioned how with a g-tube, it can make feeding a positive experience. if Martin latches on to me, I can just praise him over that, and not press him to take a certain amount. I don't have to try to force a bottle on him. If he takes 5mls from the bottle, that's fine! We can make this work.

But that doesn't alleviate my fears any.

0 comments:

Post a Comment