CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 96-100 (June 15-19)

DAY 96--

They moved Martin to room 2 today. Room 2 is nice, because there are only 2 babies for each nurse. Because Martin is so needy right now, it's very good to have that. He had a nurse he hasn't had for a while. Even though both our primary nurses are working today! That made me a little annoyed, because they know him so well, and they weren't working with any other of their primaries (actually, Martin is their only one) and Martin's nurse wasn't a primary for the other baby.

But she still knows Martin very well, because she's had him quite a bit before. And it was actually good because her son had a hydracele and so she knows what to look for! I was grateful for that. This hydracele does explain why he's been so grumpy lately.

His O2 is at 2L, and about 30-35%. And they increased his calories to 30. That worries me very, VERY much. I just hope he can tolerate it!

I was there all day, and breastfed him every time. We had a nice little station set up with the scale, and pump. It was awesome. at 9am, he took 10mls, 12pm only 8mls. :( but then at 3pm, he took 22mls! that's the most he's EVER taken!! but then, at 6pm, he took 28mls!!! I was doing a little dance around the room. I feel like he's getting it! There is a light at the end of this tunnel!!



DAY 97--
Martin's hydracele is completely gone now. There is no trace of it anywhere. The NNP is shocked, because those take a while to go away. But that's totally Martin for you, to just do everything completely on his own.

at 9am, he took 14mls, and at noon he was way too sleepy to do anything. at 3pm, he took 14mls. Sarah, one of the occupational therapists came to work with us at 6pm. She gave me a new breast shield to use, one that's a little bit bigger, so it fills his mouth more. He ended up taking 24mls! I was so proud of him!



DAY 98--
They stopped the dex steroid today, and tried to put Martin on 1L of oxygen. He totally failed, and was desatting like crazy with a few minutes. So he was bumped back to 1 1/2L.

At the 3pm feeding, he did good. he does really well as long as I use the shield. i try not to use it, and he won't do a darn thing. Eventually he'll get weaned off of it. I'm stubborn enough.

At the 6pm feeding, Sarah came in again to help us. She said he was doing amazing. Had the perfect latch and suck. When we weighed him though, the scale only said 10mls. We could not believe it!! he had so well!! so we gave him credit for 30mls. it's so hard to tell though.

When I came back at 9pm, I forgot my shield. So it took some coaxing, but eventually he latched and took 14mls. at least I know he can feed without the shield!


And this is a picture of the high flow machine. it take up a LOT of space. Hopefully today is the last day we ever see this dang machine!! (although it is good, because he helps him breathe)



DAY 99--
I was there all day today, and we worked on feedings. at 9am, Martin did really good, but the scale said 8mls!! I just don't trust that scale anymore.

They switched him to a regular cannula instead of the high flow!! woohoo!! he's getting so close to coming home!! he's still on 1 1/2L, but it's not the high flow, which is awesome.

Because they switched him over right before noon, he was too sleepy to do much of anything feeding wise. I don't blame him, it's rather stressful having things taped and untaped on the face.

At 3pm, we struggled again. he was having trouble breathing, and desatting. Come to find out, my chair was on the O2 line! I felt horrible, and was so upset about that. I'm so used to the giant tube that comes with the high flow.

at 6pm, Martin did really well. Meagan, one of his primary nurses, came in and watched. We both agreed he was doing great--good latch, good suck. I had given him 1ml in a syringe, just to kind of help him realize it's good. And then we weighed him when he was done. 2mls!! I HATE THAT SCALE!!!! It just lies to me!! So Meagan checked his residual, which had been zero before we started, and he had about 5mls in there. so he obviously got more that the scale said.

I'm just getting so frustrated. It's wearing me out to feel like we're not making any progress on feeds. half the time, I just end up in tears because he's not doing anything, and I'm so scared about getting a g-tube. It's really hard.



DAY 100--

I did not expect to be here this long. I had a lot of goals set. Triple digits? No way! But yet, here we are.

We decided to celebrate with a bath. No, this is not his first bath, he's had other baths. But this was the first bath that I have given him.

He didn't care to much for it I guess. but look at that double chin!! The extra calories are definitely doing something for him.

We tried 1L of O2, but he was really retracting so he was bumped back up to 1 1/2L. We also worked on our feedings. I want to make sure he has it figured out before we introduce bottles. at 9am he took 10mls, at noon he took16mls. After which he puked it up all over me. All of it. I hate that! he works so hard to get the little amount, just to loose it all.

at 6pm, Martin only took 8mls, and he was using really shallow sucks. I think he was just worn out from the bath.

The NNP did say he has ANOTHER hernia they're worried about, and are keeping an eye on. It's one thing or another.

I actually had to step out for a while (aka--got kicked out) because the other baby in Martin's room had extubated himself from his vent, and they had to reintubate him. So glad we don't have to deal with that! the little bit I saw was crazy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment