CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Late Valentines Day!

Happy late Valentine's Day from Martin! For a kid who refuses to eat food, he sure loves to put everything he can into his mouth.  Everything BUT food.  He wanted to eat this card like crazy!

On another note, Martin's blended diet is going so great.  I've got our 'beginning' feeds figured out.  He has a low tolerance for large amounts of volume--3-4oz is his limit, if I don't want to clean up puke (which I DO NOT).  I've been able to create a formula that involves baby food (currently still one at a time, to monitor for allergies), baby cereal, juice, tiny bit of oil (high calories, and good fats) and thin out with formula.  Enough to give him the calories he needs for the day, but not give him too much volume.  The difference so far is wonderful.  We used to deal with puke within 30 minutes after every feeding, or in the middle if he started coughing (which leads to gagging, then puking), or sometimes if he tasted food it would trigger his gag reflex.  Now?  It's been cut in half.

IN HALF!!  that means I'm not changing his clothes 4 times a day, I'm not running out of burp clothes or bibs, I'm not having to change MY clothes as much. 

The way I figure it, with all the puking he was doing before, he's getting more calories now, even though the number is the same, since he's keeping it down.  That will lead to weight gain, which we need.

I'm making sure to keep him with plenty of fluids also, I give him a 2-4oz of water throughout the day.  So far, according to the information I have that tells me how much fluid he needs a day, he's right on track!  I'm excited that it's working so well. 

I'll keep trialing new fruits and veggies, and soon I'll be trialing milk products, so we can GET RID of the formula!!  woot!! 

And here's our birthday boy!!  I'll post more pictures later, but I can't quite believe he's 1.  Wow, what a year we've had!!

2 comments:

Amberlee Hampshire

Love Martin's one year picture!!! Crazy how fast time flies. I can relate to the puking...Kingston has way bad reflux too. Today he was sucking on his hand and started gagging on it and then all his breakfast came back up. On the bright side...at least we are getting good use out of his million outfits, bibs, and burp clothes. :)

AJ

Glad to hear everything is working out so well. You are awesome to figure that all out.

Post a Comment