CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Starting the new feeding

As I've been doing my research on blenderized diets, it's becoming more and more clear to me why I'm going to do this.  Just because my child has a feeding tube, does not mean he shouldn't be able to have to benefits of real food.  He doesn't need a special food.  Yes, he needs a liquid food, but it can have some variety to it. 

Here's some stats I'm using as my starting place:

Martin currently gets:
950mls of formula per day=31.6oz per day
40-50mls juice per day=about 1.5oz per day
760calories per day from formula--24calories per ounce
approx 15-20cals from the juice per day

Per feeding: 
10mls of juice=5cals
150 mls(approx 5oz) of formula=120cals

I've also gone through all the baby food jars, and boxes of baby cereal I have and figured out how many calories per ounce they each have. 

So I'm starting like one would start an orally fed baby--1 food at a time.  Right now it's sweet potatoes, which is a food he doesn't seem to mind orally either.  As opposed to some of the others that just the taste/texture causes gagging/retching/vomiting.  I'm drawing up his normal 150mls, and adding 1Tbsp of sweet potatoes, 10 mls of juice, and his normal daily other medications/supplements (actually right now, he's just on a daily probiotic).  Since it's still thin enough, I'm able to use the pump to feed him--he hasn't been tolerating gravity feeds since he got sick a couple weeks ago. 

And I'm still doing lots of research, trying to figure out how to get everything into his diet, so he gets enough liquid, enough calories from all areas, and still grow.  there's not a lot of info out there, it seems to me that if you're baby's tube fed, and not taking anything orally yet, you just keep with the formula, which makes me sad.  Food and eating is such a big part of our life, that I want Martin to enjoy it as well.  There's just no where out there that says "your child is Xyears old, and they need this much liquid per day to stay hydrated, this much protien, this many carbs, and total calories should be this much." 

I really need to find a pediatric dietition who would be on board with this idea, and help me figure out how much Martin needs.  I can only go so far myself.  and I'm worried that his pediatrician won't be on board.  In which case I would be going forward without his support anyway.

2 comments:

Jenni

When Jayden was little around 2 we talked to her doctors and dietitian about doing what you are thinking and they said putting food through a tube is not wise. They plug easily and wear out faster. Also, they said there is formula out there they is complete enough to live off of. It is sad and was sad for us since we love to cook and make yummy food that she didn't get any although with time she has made a huge leap from eating everything this at 6 month then to nothing except g-tube feeds from age 1-5 and now she eats lots of foods and tries almost anything although she still has her favorites she asks for all the time and is getting better each week about eating more. I hope Martin does well for you and he body loves the new food. He will get to where he will eat one day. Good luck....check Primary Children's Hospital for a good dietitian to help you. They have some good ones or can recommend some one closer to you.

Calista

My future sister-in-law is a dietician, and a few weeks ago one of her friends asked her for a recommendation for an infant nutritionist. This is what she recommended her: Go to www.eatright.org and click on "Find a Registered Dietician" in the right corner. I did a search for Provo UT to see what I could find, and there is a lady in Eagle Mountain who specializes in Pediatric Nutrition. Hope this helps - good luck!!!

Post a Comment